Lake Geneva Wi Dangers of Bleach!

What is Bleach and why is it dangerous?
Bleach is one of the most corrosive and deadly chemicals and still it can be found at every supermarket and drugstore in the nation, and under countless kitchen sinks. With such broad household use, it’s important to remember the risk it poses to children (especially because small amounts will affect them more than adults) or anyone unaware of its effects. The burn you feel when using bleach products or the coughing you may experience is a sign of the corrosive properties of bleach in your body. And that slippery feeling of bleach on your skin? That’s actually caused by the lye (caustic soda) reacting to the fats and oils on your skin.

Bleach is not registered with the EPA! Also not used by carpet cleaners, flood restoration & mold remediation.
Below are the personal and environmental concerns of using bleach:
 When mixed with ammonia, it creates a deadly gas. Remember that urine contains ammonia, so using the products in the toilet increase the risk of creating a toxic gas that can actually stop lung function.  Chlorine and dish soap can create mustard gas, a deadly gas used as a weapon in WWI! What is bleach even doing in our homes?!  Chlorine is actually a gas at room temperature, which makes breathing it in likely in most homes.  In its gaseous form (such as at room temperature, mentioned above), chlorine can create dioxins, a known cancer-causing compound also related to birth defects, miscarriage, infertility, diabetes, immune disorders and more.  It’s highly corrosive to the skin, lungs and eyes, as well as other materials, and can actually cause frost bite to the skin and eyes, as well as chemical burns and ulcerations.  The oxidation of chlorine may also form hypochlorous acid, which has the ability to penetrate and destroy cell structure.  It increases asthma and allergy symptoms because of the likelihood of inhalation. It can also cause wheezing, bronchospasm and sometimes noncardiogenic pulmonary edema (a lung condition that prevents enough oxygen from entering the blood).  Pets and birds are more susceptible because of their small air capacity and the likelihood of filling their lungs with vapors.  Ingestion of bleach causes corrosive damage to the tissues of the gastrointestinal tract.  Chlorination of drinking water can oxidize organic contaminants, producing trihalomethanes (also called haloforms), which are carcinogenic (cancer-causing).  When household bleach is mixed with wastewater it is found to form numerous organic compounds. Two of those compounds are chloroform – which can cause dizziness, headache, respiratory issues, heart attack, liver and kidney damage, birth defects and more – and carbon tetrachloride – which is responsible for nerve damage, liver and kidney degeneration, coma and death.  Chlorine and wastewater can also create Trihalomethanes, a toxic carcinogen that has been linked to breast cancer and miscarriage and other fertility issues in animals  Bleach also breaks down in the environment to “halides”, which shellfish, as well as other aquatic life.  Organ chlorides, which contain chlorine, stick around in the environment for a long time and have been linked to reproductive issues, immune dysfunction, cancer, hormonal disruption and more.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s